Former NFL Star Says He’s Not Happy with the Current Lockout Deal

August 11, 2011

carl eller 2004 

Lawyers for the NFL, the players’ union and a group of retirees were back in federal court in St. Paul, MN. The retirees, led by former Vikings star Carl Eller, say they were shut out of the settlement deal that ended the lockout. At issue before U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson is whether or not to order everyone back into mediation. U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan helped broker the deal.

Lawyers representing the NFL players and owners met with Judge Boylan in New York last month. The NFL players had filed a motion for a summary judgement for the NFL lockout to be declared illegal under the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. They also stated that the NFL breached contracts for 2011. George Atallah of the NFLPA stated that the motion was strictly procedural and indicated nothing about the state of negotiations. “We have an obligation and the class counsel has an obligation to protect members of the class so we had to move forward with that filing,” Atallah said. “Obviously, the ultimate goal for everybody is a global settlement. Assuming that happens, which we hope it does, that can be lifted at any time.”

Judge Nelson told lawyers to meet with Judge Boylan on Wednesday to discuss another possible mediation ahead of a hearing scheduled for September 15.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: